Sunday, February 12, 2012

For the Love of a Nerd

     I know what you are thinking by reading this title.....ewwwww nerds!!!!  That's right this whole blog today will be about the people we call "nerds" and how they are greatly underestimated.  Being considered a nerd myself all through high school, (at least I thought I was....) I can almost call myself an expert on the subject.  A lot of people still consider me a nerd to this day because of the interests and hobbies that I enjoy.  What people don't know is that those we consider nerds are probably some of the best friends that you can have and in a lot of cases the best lovers. (speaking from a girls perspective about nerdy guys....really not sure about the other way around.)
     So like I said, all through high school I thought myself to be considered a nerd.  I was smart, did my own thing and never really hung out with the popular crowd.  Take all of those factors into account and the label was formed.  None of my friends were considered popular either...."nerds" as well.  We did our own thing and had a great time.  As I got older I reconnected with my high school best friend ( yes a guy) and we ended up dating and getting married. "Awwwwww you married your high school sweetheart..."  Yes, yes I did and I have never been happier.  My husband was a part of our group of "nerds" in high school and after getting to really know him I found out just how far the nerdyness went. 
     He is BIG in video games and probably has played every game on the planet at least once at one point in time or another.  He is really big into role playing, not the same role playing that you are thinking of, but role playing like dungeons and dragons.  I have to admit I kinda giggled when I heard that until he got me to play once and now I'm hooked.  I know that you are laughing right now but when you have an overactive imagination like I do this game is perfect.  Its not much different from playing video games but its all on paper and using your imagination rather that relying on a computer to add all your traits and scores for you.  I usually describe it to people as a group of people sitting around a table telling a story.  You have worksheets to keep track of items, traits, hit points, weapons and other various things that help you character you created and are playing.  There are dice involved, not just regular six sided dice that we are all used to but like ten and twenty sided ones that I had never seen nor did I know they existed until I started playing.  You get as many people that you can and have a blast.  You'll never know how fun it is until you try it once.  He was big into Warhammer which is role playing but you buy and make the little figurines and the landscapes on which to play.  This is all done on table top.  I never got into playing the game but I loved sitting down and painting the figurines.  He loves to read and between the two of us we have enough books to stock a small library.  He doesn't dress in the latest fashions instead , he wears what he is comfortable in.  So according to the stereotype of nerd, he fits the profile.  What most don't know is that even though he is a guy and still has a little bit of those guy tendencies, he's an amazing husband.  He's loving, caring, supportive and last but not least amazing in the sack!!!
     The point I want to make here is, a lot of us girls don't give the "nerdy" guys a chance because they aren't popular, aren't always the handsomest and some are into stuff that we turn our noses up at because we are afraid to stray from the norm and try new things. So, we continue to push our loyal nerd guy friends off to the side and go for the "popular" guy.  You know, handsome, athletic, six pack and an ego that rivals the size of Jupiter type of guy that ALWAYS breaks your heart. (mostly because his ego is the size of Jupiter!!)  Then we wonder what we did wrong.  What we did wrong is push the nice guy away (nerd) and go for what society tells us is beautiful.  I have been hanging out with my husband and all of his friends for almost ten years and I don't think I have ever met a more friendly, loyal, and down to earth crowd in my life.  They met me once and instantly they accepted me no questions asked and would be there for me if I ever needed anything.  That's how it should be for everyone.  This world would be a better place if we were all accepted for who we are and not who we should be. 
     I also know that those guys we consider nerds might not be the handsomest boys on the planet but if you find them sexy then who cares what other people think??  I used to be picked on all the time by a girl I used to work with about my husband.  She didn't know what I saw in him.  I didn't care.  Yes he may be a red head with a temper to match, covered in freckles from head to toe, not have six pack abs and have a chest covered in hair, but I still find him irresistble.  (and aren't real men supposed to have hairy chests and not shaved ones anyway??)  As long as he's as fantastic as he is to me and I find him sexy, bullocks to what everyone else thinks.  I have also come to find out that nerds can also be better lovers than your average man.  They are more concerned with what they are doing and how they are making you feel rather than most guys who are in a race with you to have an orgasm and how they look doing it. Nerds, at least from my experience, like to make sure you are satisfied before they worry about themselves. They also like to cuddle.  Now I want to reiterate that this doesn't cover all nerds and there are probably some out there that are just like your regular to average douchebag.  I am only going by my experiences.
     So in closing, in the words of Bob Dylan (well not exactly),  all I am saying is give nerds a chance.  You might be surprised at what you find......until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment