Saturday, March 24, 2012

GLITTER!!!!!!

     I know, exciting title right?  My husband and I got into a conversation about the female obsession with glitter one night after I felt compelled to buy not one, but 4 new nail polishes.  What compelled this buy?  Earlier that week my mom and I had gone shopping and we came across some Wet n' Wild nail polish.  It was a glitter, sparkle polish in mulitple colors and mom said to pick one for myself and she would get it for me.  Being as I have a propensity towards blue I found a bluish one amongst the collection and threw it in the cart.  Later that day I decided to change the plain white french manicure I already had and followed the white tip with the new bluish sparkle.  I was in awe.  First of all, one coat almost was enough.  Secondly, it was a full cover, full color sparkle.....meaning two coats and it totally covered the white tip with out any gaps.  Last but not least it glittered in the sun like Edward Cullen with his shirt off.  I was in love!!!  I knew that I had to have more.  The next day I went back to the store to find that they had four other colors in the collection and I bought them all.  I was now the proud owner of a rainbow of sparkly colors, pink, purple, green, yellow and the already owned blue.  Later that night I redid my sparkly tips and did each tip in a different color.  "you women and glitter" was all the hubby said to me as he smiled and shook his head after I showed him my masterpiece.  That comment sparked a conversation that inspired this blog.
     Woman are obsessed with glitter.  Don't think so?  How much glittery nail polish do you own?  How much glittery make-up do you have on hand? (eyeshadow, blush, body powder, body lotion.)  Probably more than you thought.  Most of the time women can't buy make-up with out some type of shimmer or shiny already in it.  A lot of times we go out of our way to buy it and mix it with what we have or use it on its own.  Think about the Rennissance Festival, they have people paid to just walk around with a bottle of glitter and ask you if you want to be sparkled....and what do we say?  Yesss!!  Then we stand as close as possible and make sure they get us from head to toe with this stuff so that we can spend the day glittering in the sunlight as we walk around Holly Grove with fake british accents buying wooden swords and turkey legs as big as our heads.  Why do we do this you ask?  (my hubby asked too...)  Because it doesn't matter how horrible we feel we put a little bit of glitter on ourselves and it will make us instantly happy.  Don't believe me? Try it.  One day when you are totally pissed off paint your nails with some glitter polish or put on a low cut shirt and use some shimmery lotion or body powder.  I can promise that once the glitter catches the light your mood will instantly change and you will start posing  like a super model in the mirror.  Glitter makes us feel pretty.  It makes us feel confident.  We all love to feel like Tinkerbell sometimes. 
     I think this might be where the saying "A diamond is a girls best friend" came from.  Its not because we have an obsession with diamonds themselves but the sparkly effect that they have on us.  Let's face it, other gem stones are pretty but nothing sparkles and glitters in the sunlight like a diamond.  The bigger the diamond the bigger the sparkle.  So for all of you men out there that think its the diamond we are obssessed with, it's not, we want the sparkle that the diamond gives off.  Look around, I'm sure on a sunny day you will catch a woman checking out her rings and manipulating them in the sun to see the sparkly.  We do the same with  good glitter polish on our nails, which is why it is more popular to see in the summer months covering fingers and toes as opposed to the winter.  We all have a need to feel good about our selves and I believe that nothing does that better than a little glittery pixie dusting or I can even quote How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days and say a little "frosting" might be all we need.
     So in closing, if your man complains about the glitter tell him to shove off.  If it makes you feel good, let's face it we know it does, then abuse the glitter to your hearts content.  Hell, when he's not looking dump some on him!!!  He might get mad but it will make you laugh!  Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment